Mary Bidonde, Staff Writer
Over the weekend many of us saw the news that Matthew Perry passed away at the age of 54. He passed away on October 28, 2023. Matthew Perry was best known for his role as Chandler Bing in the hit TV show Friends. Many of us knew and loved his character Chandler Bing for the witty
and sarcastic jokes he made throughout the ten seasons of the show. In tribute to Matthew Perry, here are the top ten Chandler Bing quotes.
1. “We swallow our feelings. Even if it means we’re unhappy forever. Sound good?” This quote is part of Chandler getting better with loyalty. Throughout the show, Chandler learns more about being loyal to his friends and sticking by them
2. “You know, I think I don’t care.” Most people shout the phrase “I don’t care” but not Chandler. The sassy king predictably says with snark and attitude that is uniquely Chandler. When he says this line with such snark, you know he was mad about something.
3. Phoebe: “Hey, I got you a present!” Chandler: “Oh, my goodness, where did you hide it?” This line comes from the episode where Phoebe buys Monica and Chandler an arcade game. When Monica and Chandler enter their apartment and see Phoebe with a large and obvious gift and greeting them, Chandler can’t help but tease her a little.
4. “I’ve had a very long, hard day.” This line is from the episode titled “The One Where Chandler Takes A Bath.” Monica convinces Chandler to take a bath and he ends up loving it. Sure enough, Chandler gets caught mid-soak and justifies it by saying he had a long and hard day. When he says this line he looks like a guilty puppy. By far an iconic line in an iconic episode.
5. “Tell him to e-mail me at www-dot-ha-ha-not-so-much-dot-com!” Everyone has felt this at some point. This is arguably one of the most relatable lines to come from Chandler Bing. No one likes getting constant emails from someone or something we don’t really care about. Chandler brought about complaining about it in a funny yet relatable way.
6. “I’m full, and yet I know if I stop eating this, I’ll regret it.” Now Chandler stole a neighbor’s cheesecake and shared it with Rachel. Basically, Chandler doesn’t want to stop eating the cheesecake because it’s so good. We’ve all had that moment where we’re stuffed but what we’re eating is so good we don’t want to stop eating it. Chandler highlighted that fact of life in a dorky and witty way.
7. Chandler: “Hold on, there’s something different.” Ross: “I went to that tanning place your wife suggested.” Chandler: “Was that place the sun?!” Now, Ross should have known better than to present Chandler with such a good opportunity for jokes. This episode is one of my favorites because Ross’ tanning mishap provided us with an iconic line.
8. “I’m hopeless and awkward and desperate for love!” Spoken like a true teenager if he wasn’t an adult. Most of us have gone through the phase where we’re convinced we’re gonna die alone. As for Chandler, this came about prior to his Monica days. This line had a little more emotion behind it than most of the other quotes in this list. Chandler really wanted to be loved since he never felt loved during his childhood.
9. Ross: “No, Homo habilis was erect. Australopithecus was never fully erect.” Chandler: “Well, maybe he was nervous.” I mean the second the words left Ross’ mouth we should’ve known how Chandler would respond. When given an opportunity, Chandler Bing, the sass king, will take it.
10. “I’m not great at the advice. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?” Rachel went to Chandler with a problem and he didn’t know how to help her solve it. He didn’t want to leave her hanging so he resorted to his typical humorous way of responding to things.
If you haven’t seen “Friends”, make sure to check it out on Max and rest in peace Matthew Perry.